Emanations from Rev. Bob's rectory
- "Television knows no night. It is perpetual day. TV embodies our fear of the dark, of night, of the other side of things."~Jean Baudrillard 2012-09-07
- I <3 Barney! Barney Frank Likens Gay Republicans To Uncle Toms | TPM2012 - http://t.co/TfKAXPE6 2012-09-06
- "We should tackle reality in a slightly jokey way, otherwise we miss its point."~Lawrence Durrell via http://t.co/4nmlehHN 2012-09-06
- RIP Joe South- http://t.co/dTuemS72 - http://t.co/e5TQyfg4 2012-09-06
- I intend to vote in the way that is the most effective in bringing about the destruction of conservatism. Now explain to me why you won't. 2012-09-06
- Moms, want to know why your kids are hungry?'Epicenter of missile defense' growing on Redstone Arsenal - http://t.co/f3GQlpM7 2012-09-06
- A home run by a stunning lady - Transcript: Michelle Obama's Convention Speech : NPR - http://t.co/zI5Rocuj 2012-09-05
- A Buddhist walks up to a hot dog stand and says Make me one Chicago style, extra mustard. 2012-09-05
- "Romney calls immigrant children illegals. Obama calls them DREAMers. That tells me everything I need to know." -David Simas 2012-09-04
- People who say "on a daily basis" instead of "every day" must die. Where's my disemboweling kit? 2012-09-04
- More updates...
Powered by Twitter Tools
“May God help us to not to “bully” anyone, but to graciously yet urgently speak the truth in love to young people who are hurting themselves with the “LGBT” lifestyle. May believers across America not be “bullied” by our government’s efforts to promote harmful and sinful sexual practices among our youth and instead determine to stand courageously against these misguided efforts which can only lead to God’s judgment!” ~Found by William Rivers Pitt
Love the Christian Scare Quotes. Pass this on.
Update: It’s law!
The beautiful thing about “almost equal” is that it automatically creates tension. That tension finally resolves itself in real equality. Bottom line: accept “almost equal” with rejoicing and thanks to our allies. And turn right around and keep on pushing for real equality, knowing that we’ve started immense historical forces driving toward our goal.
The Southern Poverty Law Center has released an updated list of anti-hay hate groups that now includes the Family Research Council and the American Family Association.
Jacobson should have been smart enough to know that if you say Beethoven is a lousy composer, you aren’t delivering a judgment on Beethoven, you’re delivering a judgment on yourself.
The SPLC has a reputation. They’ve earned it, and careless critics can easily endanger their own reputations.
Here’s a letter I got from Parker Griffith:
April 9, 2010
Dear Mr. Crispen:
Thank you for contacting me regarding the Employee Non-Discrimination Act of 2009 (H.R. 3017). I understand your concerns regarding this matter and I thank you for taking the opportunity to make your opinion known to me.
As you may know, H.R. 3017 was introduced by U.S. Representative Barney Frank on June 24, 2009, and is currently pending before several House Committees for review. This measure would prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.
I oppose this measure because it interferes with the practice of “employment at will.” If this bill becomes a law, it would force employers to justify the termination of any employee. This becomes a problem, because a private business should have the right to hire and fire employees without having to defend these actions before a court of law. I believe that the existing laws in place protect the rights of workers. We currently have laws in this country that protect people from discrimination of race and gender, and require reasonable accommodation of faith practices. H.R. 3017 creates several problems for employers in the private sector, and has the potential to change the hiring and firing practices in the private sector for the worse in my opinion.
Again, I thank you for sharing your views on this issue with me. I assure you that I will keep your concerns in mind as this measure is considered by the House of Representatives. Thanks again for sharing your concerns and I hope you’ll stay engaged. To sign up for email updates please visit the Fifth District’s website at www.Griffith.house.gov.
Member of Congress
Note that Griffith voted against the hate crimes law.
Is Griffith being a good little corporatist, or do we see some old fashioned Southern White guy bigotry?
Feed the friends of full civil equality for LGBT people and families. And starve our opponents.
HRC’s Buying for Equality guide: http://www.hrc.org/buyersguide2010/
Can we keep Rick around a little longer so we can play with him some more before we eat him?
In Warren’s desperate lurch toward the center, he and his supporters are forgetting one thing: leverage.
Without homobigotry, mandatory childbirth, and women on the bottom, Warren becomes the Methodist minister down the street. He’s just another guy. If Warren puts a mute in the crazyness, The Base will stop saying he’s America’s New Pastor and Republican Party honchos won’t return his calls.
If he sticks to the gospel according to Pat Robertson, even the MSM will show him up for the loon he is. He runs out of leverage when he moves to the center and when he stays on the right.
If The Fierce Advocate really is playing a deep game and lifting Warren up higher so he can fall farther, I believe he just might be wily enough to fix this country.
I’m still not gonna trust That One. Show me the executive orders and signed legislation, then I’ll trust him for a couple of seconds.
Even if Obama is just one more disappointing Democrat, Warren is way out of his depth.
h/t: vanhattan who made similar points in this discussion on Pam’s House Blend.
It’s not the burglary, it’s the coverup.
Sorry for being so slow on the uptake. Check any of the blogs in the blogroll