Emanations from Rev. Bob's rectory
- "Television knows no night. It is perpetual day. TV embodies our fear of the dark, of night, of the other side of things."~Jean Baudrillard 2012-09-07
- I <3 Barney! Barney Frank Likens Gay Republicans To Uncle Toms | TPM2012 - http://t.co/TfKAXPE6 2012-09-06
- "We should tackle reality in a slightly jokey way, otherwise we miss its point."~Lawrence Durrell via http://t.co/4nmlehHN 2012-09-06
- RIP Joe South- http://t.co/dTuemS72 - http://t.co/e5TQyfg4 2012-09-06
- I intend to vote in the way that is the most effective in bringing about the destruction of conservatism. Now explain to me why you won't. 2012-09-06
- Moms, want to know why your kids are hungry?'Epicenter of missile defense' growing on Redstone Arsenal - http://t.co/f3GQlpM7 2012-09-06
- A home run by a stunning lady - Transcript: Michelle Obama's Convention Speech : NPR - http://t.co/zI5Rocuj 2012-09-05
- A Buddhist walks up to a hot dog stand and says Make me one Chicago style, extra mustard. 2012-09-05
- "Romney calls immigrant children illegals. Obama calls them DREAMers. That tells me everything I need to know." -David Simas 2012-09-04
- People who say "on a daily basis" instead of "every day" must die. Where's my disemboweling kit? 2012-09-04
- More updates...
Powered by Twitter Tools
I’ve been listening: If we just suffer long enough, we’ll not only have a sound economy, we’ll become better people.
But why are people on the Right such pricks themselves?
Bubbling up to the top of our attention pot now that Rand Paul is in the news: Who Wrote Ron Paul’s Newsletters?
Libertarians in Alabama, a group even more blindingly white than conservatives in Alabama, are huge fans of Llewellyn (Lew) Rockwell. Libertarianism exalts privilege and the power of wealthy elites, but Rockwell’s brand of elitism now looks like it has strong anti-black, anti-immigrant, and anti-gay components, which would further attract white people in Alabama and might also explain the unfortunate tendency of some Alabama libertarians to talk approvingly of the white supremacists at Ruby Ridge and to pass along neoconfederate tracts. One libertarian I know here seemed to be running for president of the John Wilkes Booth Fan Club. The Rockwell – Mises Institute – Paul family connection is further evidence of this correlation being more than mere coincidence.
Reason magazine, the northeastern, genteel voice of libertarianism, has quite reasonably tried to put distance between itself and paleolibertarianism, but the paths of influence between Right libertarianism and southern style bigotry have yet to be fully explored.
It used to be the libertarians were the more genteel voice of the extreme Right, despite some unfortunate racist and homophobic postings in Ron Paul’s newsletter.
Now, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Hatewatch, they’re going full bore angry white guy.
We’re accustomed to thinking of the libertarian Right as smug economic fundamentalists with an inflated sense of their own intelligence.
Here in north Alabama and possibly elsewhere there’s a strong crypto-Kluxer thread in the libertarian Right.