Emanations from Rev. Bob's rectory
- "Television knows no night. It is perpetual day. TV embodies our fear of the dark, of night, of the other side of things."~Jean Baudrillard 2012-09-07
- I <3 Barney! Barney Frank Likens Gay Republicans To Uncle Toms | TPM2012 - http://t.co/TfKAXPE6 2012-09-06
- "We should tackle reality in a slightly jokey way, otherwise we miss its point."~Lawrence Durrell via http://t.co/4nmlehHN 2012-09-06
- RIP Joe South- http://t.co/dTuemS72 - http://t.co/e5TQyfg4 2012-09-06
- I intend to vote in the way that is the most effective in bringing about the destruction of conservatism. Now explain to me why you won't. 2012-09-06
- Moms, want to know why your kids are hungry?'Epicenter of missile defense' growing on Redstone Arsenal - http://t.co/f3GQlpM7 2012-09-06
- A home run by a stunning lady - Transcript: Michelle Obama's Convention Speech : NPR - http://t.co/zI5Rocuj 2012-09-05
- A Buddhist walks up to a hot dog stand and says Make me one Chicago style, extra mustard. 2012-09-05
- "Romney calls immigrant children illegals. Obama calls them DREAMers. That tells me everything I need to know." -David Simas 2012-09-04
- People who say "on a daily basis" instead of "every day" must die. Where's my disemboweling kit? 2012-09-04
- More updates...
Powered by Twitter Tools
Auferre trucidare rapere falsis nominibus imperium, atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant. – Tacitus
Another old sigquote I’d posted to a F1 group and just found again
I refuse to have a culture war with an unarmed opponent. – uu_mom (somewhere)
A sigquote I used for a while and forgot and stumbled on today on the net.
The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius
h/t to Pam Spaulding.
When I went to double check the quote, I swear Google found it in the members’ area of this guy‘s website. I see this as a sign from lack-of-god: I’m going to start making a lot of money. Given the severe irony deficit among the devoted followers of America’s Favorite Radio Junkie, there’s got to be a way to use this coincidence for the benefit of humanity.
June being the month , here’s the perfect poem to read at your wedding
Once lead this people into war and they’ll forget there ever was such a thing as tolerance – Woodrow Wilson
Orwell’s 1984 recognizes that a permanent state of war can keep the incumbent party in power. But if the incumbent’s party is energized by intolerance, then opposing the incumbent party becomes exponenially harder. If we still believe in tolerance, we can’t join hands with grossly intolerant people — people who come right out and say that intolerance is good and things would be better if we and our friends were gone — without first, second, and always standing up for human values and standing up against inhuman values.
It takes energy to overcome an incumbency based on intolerance. We’re in a fight for our country’s soul.
We have to re-instill the tolerance that used to be an essential part of our national character. We can’t do it without having some kind of influence, enough to percolate through a corporate media whose interests coincide with the interests of the power elites who depend on intolerance.
But this isn’t just a means to gain power ourselves. If we could make intolerance something to be ashamed of, I’m willing to take my chances on who gets elected to what.
Merely being liberal won’t be enough. Not any more. We have to do this issue by issue – homophobia, xenophobia, racism, misogyny – it’s intersectionality again. And we must never give up. Never. Never. Never.
H/T to Johns Hopkins Magazine for the quote.